The Magic of Plants and Herbs – Using Nature as Therapy Retreat
Learn natural remedies and how to plant your own medicinal herb garden
Join us on this five-day spring retreat to learn from our Foraging and Nature expert about the magical properties of everyday plants and how we can use them for natural remedies and to boost our health and wellbeing. You'll also get to enjoy the healing powers of being out in nature and some gardening therapy as we'll teach you how to plant a medicinal herb garden too. This holistic retreat also includes some natural beauty treatments with our green beauty therapist, relaxing Vinyasa Flow Yoga and some guided meditations and mindfulness forest walks.
You'll stay in our charmingly restored 100 year old home that combines traditional style and modern comforts, set in a peaceful olive grove surrounded by trees and amazing views leading down to a beautiful river lagoon. In all of our retreats we invite you to explore relaxation and well-being by enjoying these restorative natural surroundings.
Open to all
Included / Not included
- 6 nights' accommodation in private rooms with en-suites at Relaxscape, a beautifully restored 100 year old house on an olive farm in rural Portugal
- Hands-on learning sessions about the traditional health benefits of herbs
- Planting workshop and advice
- Recipe ideas, demonstrations and tastings
- Natural beauty treatments and tips
- Optional daily yoga or meditation/reflection sessions
- Mindful foraging forest walk
- Visit to a local chilli farm and spice merchant
- All meals at Relaxscape, including wine & beer at dinner
- Coffee, tea, water available throughout the day
- Use of our cork yoga mats & blocks
- Flights and transfers to Relaxscape from Lisbon or Porto airports (these can be arranged for you on request)
- Swimming towels (can be hired at the venue)
- Toiletries (we're into sustainability here, so don't provide disposable toiletries like some other places you may have stayed, but we do sell handmade natural shampoo and soap bars that you can then take home with you - we also host workshops throughout the year where you can learn how to make your own!)
- Snacks and alcohol outside mealtimes (but you are welcome to bring your own or buy them from the café 100m away), or any meals out
- Optional massage or reflexology session
- One to one coaching sessions with Belinda also available on request
Set in a tranquil olive grove complete with orange and lemon trees leading down to the green forests surrounding the River Zêzere in central Portugal, Relaxscape, which opened in 2019, is about reconnecting with the power of nature, a place where you can press pause on the stresses of your everyday busy life and escape for a while. It’s a place to enjoy a slower pace, savour simple pleasures and awake new senses. A place to relax and reconnect with yourself surrounded by the calming presence of trees and water and sky.
Relaxscape hosts relaxation-based activity retreats for people who find it hard to unwind by lying on a beach doing nothing. Relaxscape offers weekly activities throughout the year such as yoga sessions, mindful forest bathing, sound baths, meditation sessions, journaling, grape and olive picking, art or writing workshops, cookery courses, well-being weeks, guided walking tours around historic Tomar, learning about plants and herbs and more.
During your stay in a lovingly restored 100 year old building, you’ll be able to find your flow while learning a new skill or honing an existing one. It’s up to you to decide how much relaxing you’d like to do in between! Great for solo travellers who enjoy meeting others while still being able to enjoy time alone, or for couples looking for a different sort of holiday. With retreats facilitated by qualified and experienced teachers, Relaxscape is an environment specially designed to support you through your decision-making, goal-setting, and self-discovery by using the healing power of nature.
You'll stay in our charmingly restored 100 year old home that combines traditional style and modern comforts, set in a peaceful olive grove surrounded by trees and amazing views leading down to a beautiful river lagoon. The comfortable rooms all have private en-suites. There are three single rooms with showers (one with a deep soak bath too), one twin room and two double rooms with shower and deep soak baths overlooking the beautiful gardens. Downstairs, there is a spacious open-plan kitchen, dining and sitting room, where you can help yourself to breakfast, lunch and refreshments and where we'll come together to eat a locally sourced (homegrown where possible!), home-cooked meal in the evenings, or out on the surrounding terraces.
Accommodation and meals
- Bike available
- Shared bedrooms
- Single room
- Double room
- En suite
- Allergic option
Ellie Gill is a holistic therapist specialising in organic facials and natural makeup.
‘I’ve been working as a make-up artist for the past ten years and over that time have become more interested in exclusively using natural, non-toxic skincare and make-up with beautiful quality and effective ingredients. I absolutely love doing facials because they not only make the skin look healthy and luminous, but the calming effect is incredibly powerful at helping to reduce stress. I believe that beauty is something that develops from the inside out. I approach my treatments with a holistic outlook and take into account the whole picture to help you achieve a natural, radiant glow and a balanced, calm lifestyle.’
Hello, I'm Belinda, the founder and owner of Relaxscape. I'm a firm believer in shaping your own life, ikigai, the healing power of nature, yoga, eating your greens, and being green. I have a Masters degree in Psychology and have been practising as a coach helping people through life and career changes for the last ten years. During that time I began to realise that a common theme among my clients was that they felt a bit lost, or no longer knew who they were or what made them happy. My coaching became about helping them to find balance, to rediscover their ikigai. I've also been through my own difficult patches which led me to make big changes in my life in my early 40s. That's when I discovered the internal healing powers of yoga and nature, and what eventually led me to create Relaxscape, a place where people could retreat to nature and rediscover themselves.
I am also a Yoga Alliance certified Hatha and Vinyasa Flow yoga teacher and I have my own coaching and business consultancy About Talent Ltd, which supports people through difficult transitions in their life, work and businesses by focusing on their strengths. As a coach, my aim is to help my clients find a more holistic approach to their change journey. Yoga to me is about wellbeing and I've found it to be of huge benefit to my mental and physical health. Combined with coaching, it's a great way to help you to find inner stillness during times of change and stress. I particularly like Vinyasa Flow yoga because of the focus on the breath - it's about creating a rhythmic flow of one breath to one movement. This constant dialogue between your body internally and externally creates a beautifully relaxing practice, leaving you feeling energised and connected to your inner self.
Monday 4th May
Travel day. Aim to arrive at Relaxscape by 18:00
20:00: Welcome Dinner
Tuesday 5th May
Optional meditation session
Introduction to ikigai, how to make the most of your time at Relaxscape
Part 1 - Most common herbs and their benefits
Guided mindful nature walk
Optional Vinyasa Flow Yoga session
Wednesday 6th May
Optional Vinyasa Flow yoga
Starting to plant a medicinal herb garden
Guided meditation session
Natural skincare workshop
Thursday 7th May
Optional meditation session
Part 2 - Traditional herbal remedies
Optional Vinyasa Flow Yoga
Planting a medicinal herb garden
Natural skincare treatments with Ellie, relaxation time
Forest walk and/or river swim
Friday 8th May
Optional Vinyasa Flow Yoga
Visit to a local chilli farm
Natural skincare treatments with Ellie
Saturday 9th May
Optional meditation session
Part 3 - Plants and herbs in cooking
Recipe ideas and demonstrations
Introduction to herbal teas
Optional massage, therapeutic yoga, or reflexology session
Sunday 10th May
Breakfast and check-out
Travel home (or onwards to explore more of Portugal!)
Our nearest airport is Lisbon. From there, you can choose one of five ways to get to us:
1. Take the Red Metro Line to Oriente train station. From there you can catch a train to Entroncamento (journey time 50 mins - 1 hour) and we can pick you up from there (35 minutes car ride).
2. You can also take a train to Tomar (journey time 1 hr 50 mins - 2 hrs) and we can pick you up from there (20 minute car ride).
3. A bus will get you to Ferreira do Zêzere from Sete Rios bus station. (Take Line 1 bus from the airport and change at Sete Rios). The journey will take 2 hours and from Ferreira do Zêzere it is a 10 minute car ride to Relaxscape.
4. If you would like to be more independent during your stay, we suggest you hire a car at the airport.
5. We can arrange airport transfers direct to us for an extra cost.
Non-refundable deposit of 20% payable at time of booking.
The balance of the payment payable 28 days before retreat starts or the booking will not be secured.
- Ferreira do Zêzere, Portugal
- From: 4 May, 2020 18:00
- To: 10 May, 2020 8:00
- 5 days
- GBP 450 per person on a shared room basis